What’s the secret to success in your job search and your career?
Wow! That’s a big, multi-faceted question. But there are three steps that should be essential to every plan for professional advancement:
3 Career Steps That Are REALLY Important
1) Be a Lifelong Learner
The secret to success in any professional venture is to never stop learning. Whether you’ve just graduated from college, earned an advanced degree or specialized certification, or are striving to be the best at what you do, continuous learning is a major plus.
- It’s especially important to master transferrable skills. This helps ensure that you will be marketable in a continuously evolving and competitive job market. Examples include computer knowledge and other technical skills, public speaking and communications, and sales and marketing.
- Companies seek employees who are motivated to pursue self-improvement opportunities. In order to keep current with changing business trends, learning has to remain part of the equation.
- Stay relevant. Keep abreast of changing ideas and developments so you can stay in the forefront of your industry and stand out among other job seekers.
2) Strategically Plan Your Resume
Your resume is the first impression that a potential employer has of you, so make it a good one. Presenting an impactful resume is often the first hurdle you need to overcome in taking your career to the next level, so not just any generic one will do.
- Tailor your resume to your desired position. Use keywords from the job description, and make it clear that you have familiarity with the company and brand.
- Get right to the point. An average hiring manager spends 10 seconds or less on the initial screen of a candidate resume. So be sure that the first few sections of your resume zero in on your unique contributions and the value you could add if hired. Don’t bury the lead!
- Make your resume succinct, appealing and reader-friendly. There are various formats you can apply, but whichever works best for a particular situation, make sure yours is clean, clear, accurate and easy to read.
3) Set Goals – and Stick to Them
The first step to career success is to know where you want to go. Then, you can develop a road plan to lead you there. Your short-term goals are your roadmap – and your long-term goal is your destination.
- Be SMART in setting goals. Make every one of your goals specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time framed. Keep the SMART acronym in mind as you frame and flesh out your goals, translating the process to fit your specific needs.
- What’s your “big picture” goal? Is it finding a new job? Advancing within your current organization? Changing careers or industries? Start with things you want to accomplish by the end of a year. Then establish short-term goals. These include monthly, weekly and even daily targets that move you toward lasting success.
Are you looking for the next step in your career?
As you advance your career in engineering, accounting, finance, marketing, cyber security or supply chain management, turn to the specialized recruiters at TRC Professional Solutions. We’ll help you search confidentially for prime positions with leading employers within our nationwide client network. Contact us today or explore these available careers.