Are you considering a career as a software engineer?
If so, there’s never been a better time to be on this professional path. Demand far exceeds supply, as high-growth companies are on the hunt for qualified candidates. And as long as computers and computing continue to evolve, this will be the case.
Take a closer look at this reason – as well as four others – to give serious consideration to a software engineering career:
As a software engineer, you won’t have to worry about job security.
Even though computers have been around for a long time, recent years have seen a huge shift in the world’s reliance on digital devices. While this poses a challenge for employers looking for qualified candidates, it puts the ball soundly in your court when it comes to job seeking.
- While the projected job growth for the entire country is 11 percent during this decade, growth in the field of software engineering is predicted to be at 22 percent. Compare this to 13 percent for accountants, 10 percent for attorneys and 18 percent for physicians.
In addition to having your choice of jobs, here are four more pluses to becoming a software engineer:
- You can earn a nice living. The median salary for software engineers hovers at about $100,000 a year. Even for those just starting out, compensation is lucrative. The median starting salary for programmers with no work experience is more than $55,000. And, as reported by Forbes, that person can expect 60 percent salary growth throughout their career. Forbes has rated software engineering the fourth best college degree in terms of short and long-term return on investment.
- Your jobs can be very versatile. As a software engineer, you may work with real-time devices like embedded systems, with mobile devices, or with websites and web applications. There are myriad career niches to explore. Every day on the job will be different and challenging, and you’ll never get bored.
- You’ll put your creativity to use. Regardless of the industry in which you work, you can apply software engineering to creating something unique and out of the box with every task and assignment. Often, there are multiple ways to approach programming challenges. Solutions can be expressed in many ways, both structurally and in the details. You’ll always be free to indulge your creative side.
- There’s a clear path to independence. If your dream is to work remotely or as an independent consultant, a career as a software engineer allows you to follow this path. The professional world is an open book; you just need to find the chapter and verse that works for you.
The executive search consultants at TRC Professional Solutions specialize in matching top software engineering and IT professionals with leading employers nationwide. For access to this unparalleled market intelligence – and assistance in landing the job that’s right for you – read our related posts or contact us today.