Networking, polishing up your resume, setting up informational interviews … whatever steps you’re taking to optimize your job search, they may be a huge waste of time unless you’ve completed a critical first step: setting the right career goals.
- Research shows that goal setters achieve between 60 and 80 percent more productivity in their job searches. This translates into greater access to the right opportunities and higher chances of being hired. Goal setting is a prerequisite to identifying what you want to accomplish and what it will take to get there.
How to Set – and Maximize – Your Goals
There are many benefits to effective career goal setting. A search consultant from the right job search agency can partner with you as you launch and complete this process. Major areas to consider include:
- Clarifying your vision: By clearly understanding your career aspirations, you can establish goals consistent with that vision. Narrow it down. Be able to describe the specific type of role you want. You may worry that you’ll miss an opportunity if you don’t consider every possible job that’s even remotely related to your desired position, but that makes it difficult for anyone – including yourself – to help you. Create a list of targeted companies, as well.
- Staying motivated: It can be easy to get frustrated when you’re looking for work. Stay motivated by developing a support network. Reach out to friends, family and trusted colleagues. Consider joining a job search group. Take periodic breaks to recharge. Get out of the house; for instance, take your mobile device – and your work for the afternoon – to a nearby café for a change of scenery.
- Keeping your eye on the prize: Stay focused, and don’t lose sight of your goals. Identifying your priorities enables you to spend your time wisely and in the right places. Don’t be too distracted by social media or other interruptions. Create a to-do list with time frames for completing even the most minor items. If you have to, unplug and get away from emails and your smartphone or tablet for set periods of time.
- Holding yourself accountable: Setting career goals holds you responsible to yourself for achieving the best results. It also empowers you to keep those goals SMART: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound. Your search consultant can be an excellent accountability partner.
Looking for work can be a full-time job. The right search agency can connect you with the hiring managers and prospective employers you need to fulfill your goals. This includes access to unadvertised positions and other opportunities you may not find on your own. In the engineering, accounting, finance, marketing, supply chain, cybersecurity and logistics industry, that agency is TRC Professional Solutions. Contact us today to learn more.